DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL CONVENTION
Supplemental and Clarifying Rules
These rules supplement the District of Columbia Republican Presidential Convention and Delegate Selection Plan for the 2016 Republican National Convention.
Presidential Candidate Ballot Access and Convention Participation
- Bullet voting (voting for one or a lesser number than the number allowed) for delegate candidates is permitted. Cumulative voting (voting more than once for an individual delegate candidate) is not permitted.
Election of Delegates and Alternate Delegates to the Republican National Convention
- Over balloting (casting a ballot for more than 32 candidates) shall result in a spoiled ballot.
- The casting of a ballot for an illegal candidate (not nominated or fictional) shall not result in a spoiled ballot provided it does not result in an over ballot and/or the intent of the remaining eligible candidates can be determined.
- A spoiled ballot shall not be counted in any way in determining the votes cast or election results.
- In the event of a tie vote for the ranking of any delegate or alternate delegate candidate determined by lot, the delegate representative or their designee may be present for the drawing of the lot.
Allocation and Binding of Delegates and Alternate Delegates
- Any delegate candidate who wishes to withdraw their name from election based on the allocated binding for a specific candidate or any other reason, may do so. The candidate who wishes to withdraw must notify the Chairman, in writing, before delegates are certified on March 13th, 2016. In the event a delegate withdraws their name from the election, the allocation process shall proceed, as if, the withdrawn delegate received no votes in the process. After the certification of the delegation, Section VI shall apply.
- Any delegate candidate who is unwilling to sign an affidavit that they are willing to be bound to the results of the Presidential Preference Vote and support the candidate their delegate seat is bound to as outlined in Section V shall be deemed to have withdrawn their name from the election.
The rules contained in the current edition of Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the convention in all cases in which they are applicable AND where they are not inconsistent with the bylaws, these rules, or the rules as submitted to the Republican National Committee before October 1st, 2015.
Credentials Committee (Optional)
The Chairman of the DCGOP may appoint a Credential’s Committee to resolve the eligibility of any voting member or delegate/alternate delegate candidate. The committee shall consist of three members and only be empowered to act should a dispute be raised.